BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

a year in movies

I am up at 2 am on Christmas day (actually I guess it's the day after Christmas) watching the series finale of Gilmore Girls. To keep from crying my eyes out at the thought of the end of another great show, I was browsing my favorite website, imdb.com and found that they listed the movies in 2007 by their release date. So I went back to January of 2007 and wrote down the movies I've seen in the theaters this year. And what a year it's been, movie speaking of course, not counting the marriage and stuff.

Freedom Writers
Pan's Labryinth
Stomp the Yard
Catch and Release
Because I Said So
Ghost Rider
Music and Lyrics
The Astronaut Farmer
Zodiac
The Host
300
The Namesake
Reign Over Me
Shooter
TMNT
The Lookout
Blades of Glory
Fracture
Hot Fuzz
Spider Man 3
Lucky You
Waitress
28 Weeks Later
Shrek the 3rd
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Knocked Up
Ocean's 13
Fantastic Four: The Rise of the Silver Surfer
A Mighty Heart
Live Free or Die Hard
Transformers
License to Wed
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Talk to Me
The Simpson's Movie
No Reservations
Bourne Ultimatum
Becoming Jane
Stardust
Superbad
Death at a Funeral
The Nanny Diaries
3:10 to Yuma
Across the Universe
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
The Kingdom
The Darjeeling Limited
King of California
We Own The Night
Michael Clayton
Lars and the Real Girl
Gone Baby Gone
Dan in Real Life
American Gangster
Martian Child
No Country for Old Men
Enchanted
August Rush
I Am Legend
Juno
National Treasure
Charlie Wilson's War

A grand total of SIXTY-TWO MOVIES. I'm not sure how good your math is, but that comes out to more than one movie in the theaters a week. Let me tell you our secret. Nick and I are big fans of the "double feature". We see two for the price of one. On our honeymoon we were feeling ambitious and we saw 6 movies in 2 days. We pulled off 2 triple features in 2 days because we are amazing and ridiculous.

Let's recap the movies:

Way Exceeded Expectations:
Juno - best movie of the year. Of my life.
3:10 to Yuma - Russell Crowe is back baby.
The Darjeeling Limited - my new favorite Wes Anderson film. I never get tired of the slow-motion endings.
Stardust - very imaginative and cute.
Pan's Labryinth - again, imaginative and also captivating.
No Country for Old Men - didn't want to see it, but it was uh-mazing. Just read any critic in the country to hear how good it is.
Gone Baby Gone - I love any movie that leads you to talk about it all the way home.
The Namesake - Endearing, powerful. I read the book and it is excellent.
The Host - Korean movie. So scary and funny. Love it.

Of course there are many more but let's move onto the bad movies because they are more fun to discuss.

Thought It Would Be Good But Sucked It Up Bigtime:
August Rush - I thought since I bawled through the preview everytime I saw it I would enjoy the movie. No go.
Martian Child - I wanted to slap that weird kid.
Dan in Real Life - Ugh! I hate movies where the kids act like little shits and totally get away with it and the parents end up apologizing to the kids.
Catch and Release - Just plain stupid.
Because I Said So - Because I said it was annoying as hell. Diane Keaton is only good in small doses.

Movies I Knew Would Suck and Did Indeed Suck but Had To See Because It Was Nick's Turn:
Ghost Rider - Comes to mind anytime anyone says the words "bad movie". So bad. Just bad.
Transformers - Too much metal clashing, hurt my ears, couldn't care less about anything in the movie.
The Astronaut Farmer - I don't even know what to say.

Special Mention:
Charlie Wilson's War
A Mighty Heart
Stomp the Yard
Waitress
Zodiac
Reign Over Me
Harry Potter (my true love)

On Thursday I am planning for the ultimate: 4 movies in one day. On deck are Juno (again), The Great Debators, 27 Dresses and P.S. I Love You. I know that 27 dresses and P.S. may be silly, but I think it's a great way to end the year of movies.

What are your favorite and most hated movies of the year?

4 comments:

Stacy said...

We just saw Juno last and loved it!
I also liked No Country for Old men even though I hate seeing those types of movies in the theater.

I knew Darjeeling Limited would be kinda slow but he made up for it with the amazing cinematography, I think that is the word I'm looking for.

So when you say that you see double features, does that mean you just stay inside the theater? Seems like you would have spent a lot of money this year on movies if you had to pay for every one.

I really want to see Waitress...hello? Felicity?!? And it is also so sad about the Director of that movie or whatever role she played.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing. I am so glad I found someone who loves movies as much as me.

Anonymous said...

you two are crazy!
that is all.

Kara said...

wow. my mind was just blown.