BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

silence that horn

Nick and I live off of a busy street in northwest Oklahoma City. Around rush hour it is not possible to drive down the street without several swear words escaping from your mouth, usually towards other people. There is no left turn lane on this street and very few left turning arrows so if you are in the left lane at a stoplight and someone in front of you is turning left, chances are you will be sitting for a long time. Which is why the city posted signs on a lot of the lights at many intersections along the street that prohibit you from turning left during rush hours like 7-9am and 4-6pm.

So yesterday, Nick and I are driving along said road at 5:30pm and we get stopped at a red light. We're in the left lane, about 3rd in line. The light turns green and the asshole (do you see what I mean about the effects of this street?) in front of the line turns on his left turn signal. Which is against the rules, against the LAW. I was driving so I honked my horn at this person to remind him he cannot turn left and make us all sit here until 10pm when the traffic dies down on the other side of the street.

Nick shrank in his seat and covered his face. "I can't believe you honked at that person."
Once I made the mistake of reaching over and honking the horn while Nick was driving. That was the time where he had to restrain himself from punching me in the face. Apparently that is a NO NO for men. His rationale is, "The guy that is getting honked at is not going to beat you up, but your husband instead" My thoughts? "I'm okay with that." More the reason to honk all I want.

Seriously though, what is the problem with honking when someone needs to GO?!? That is the point of a horn isn't it? To get someone's attention? If people (like my husband) didn't get SO mad when people honked at THEM, maybe we could use the horn when needed and not take offense.

When someone honks at ME, it's usually because I am reading a magazine at the green light and now it's turning yellow, just enough time for me to go through, but no one else. I think someone, someday will make an exception with me and beat up a woman just this once...

0 comments: