BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, June 1, 2008

pet peeves, of the grammar sort

I WAS going to post a blog about the Sex and the City movie, but Nick said that everyone will be posting about it and that's boring and predictable. So blame him if you wanted a review of the movie. It's coming later this week though.

Instead, this blog will be about some of my own personal pet peeves regarding poor grammar. I read alot of blogs and I come across alot of misspelled words and incorrect grammar. Let me preface this by saying, I do not claim to use perfect grammar. In fact, by spending most of my time speaking to children I come up with some crazy sentences.

Here are my top ten pet peeves:

1. When people say Nick's and I's instead of Nick's and my. Nick's and I's party was really fun. Ouch.
2. Conversate, instead of converse. I personally haven't heard anyone say this, but my dad says his students use it all the time in class and it drives him nuts.
3. Dieying, instead of dying. I'm dieing to see Sex and the City this weekend. Nope, not a word.
4. Your-You're. I am amazed by how many people misuse this. People of all ages and educational backgrounds.
5. Literally, it makes me want to jump off a cliff when people use this word figuratively.
6. FonT ThAt LoOkS LiKe ThIs literally makes me hate the person that used it. You heard me.
7. Too many exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!! Or question marks????????????????????
8. Yeah-Yea. Yeah is a casual way of saying yes. Yea is another way of saying yay!
9. Sister-in-laws vs. Sisters-in-law. Since I now have 2 sisters-in-law, I have to make sure I am saying it the right way.
10. Inappropriate quotation "marks". Look at this website for more instances like these. They'll make you cringe.

I realize that by typing this I open myself up to criticism and I'm okay with that. Even if this is riddled with mistakes in grammar, I can sleep at night knowing I'm doing my best to keep learning how to improve my own written words. By criticizing others.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Me love you're blog.

Unknown said...

OK, this is not exactly a grammar issue but it's still a language one. I hate this question; "Do you have the internet on your computer?"

Yes, and I also have the interstate on my car.